Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A Christmas Story

I wanted to share this letter with all of you since so many have had to put up with my grumpy moods and odd availability due to my job. This one experience makes everything I put up with at work worth it. I handled a 911 call around midnight on December 7/8 from a grandmother who had found her 8 year old grandson unconsious and not breathing. This is the note I received at work just before Christmas.




This is the letter:
Dear Sara,
Thank you! Ian is alive and well - back to being an active 8 year old. He woke up that night with no prior symptoms, coughed and struggled for breath. Within a few minutes he dropped to the floor and stopped breathing. I had been trying to help him and when I got through to you I thought we had lost him. You told me to give him mouth to mouth (CPR) which I did and he was breathing again, albeit very laborously when the paramedics arrived.
Were it not for your clear and calm instructions he would not be here. He spent several days on breathing treatments at UMC. Within a week he was home and back to normal.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Ian's Grandma Marcia

To the 911 operator (Sara) who responded to a call from a frantic grandmother. Thank you more than words can say from:
Ian's Grandmother
Ian's Mom and Dad who were out of town,
Ian's 3 brothers,
the rest of Ian's large and grateful family,
and of course, Ian himself.

6 comments:

Jeff, Renee, Carter and Camden said...

911 call to Sara - 1/3/08 11:20pm
Renee crying like crazy, can't stop . . . please help!
Love you. Miss you.

Donna and Jim said...

Oh Sara - That made me want to cry. I am so glad you received that letter. You have totally made a difference in little Ians life!!!

Anonymous said...

very cool Sara!! It's always nice to know that you can make a difference in people's lives!! Keep up the hard work :-)

Mike, Amanda, Dane, and Nora said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. It's amazing how even just one "thank you" for hours of thankless work make it all worthwhile. Lots of love from us...

Melissa O. said...

wow! that's really awesome. nothing like a "thank you".

Jason, Donna and KIDS! said...

WAY TO GO SARA!! You need something great like that card!! You are the best!